Monday, April 7, 2008

okay, ill admit it...

...i am a john tesh fan. his radio voice at night is so soothing (zach makes fun of me for it) and i love the intelligence for your life pieces. my friends and i had a conversation the other day about laundry. i know, i know...it's weird but that's just how we are. two of us were brought up with moms who always told us to buy clothes a size bigger b/c "it will shrink in the wash". besides the fact that this is the greatest lie i can remember during my childhood--bigger than the Easter Bunny (i've only had one thing shrink in my life and that was b/c it was thrown in the drier like 11 billion times) we both grew to do laundry very differently. both of our moms were sorters but kristina and i do things very different, she piles and i do it all. i do two loads; light and dark. hot/cold. simple as that. pretty much everything goes in the dryer except for some jeans and work stuff but, i as i learned in college, laundry is a time sucker so why make things more complicated with "piles"? tonight i was crusiung the john tesh website for some random tidbits of info and came across this bit about laundry so i thought i would share it:

Set the washing machine to COLD. If every person washed four out of five loads in cold water, it could keep 50 tons of nasty carbon emissions out of the atmosphere per year. An added bonus? It’ll make your clothes last longer and you’ll save money, too.

pretty neat, eh? laundry takes up so mcuh time and i am always amazed at how some people can become so controlling over their laundry. does it matter that much to your family?

are you a laundry freak?

peacelove

3 comments:

Traci said...

I'm TOTALLY a laundry freak!

I do wash everything in cold but because it's free..and because it makes things stay looking new longer.

but I'm definitely a pile-r! The reds live together, the greens and blues, the jeans inside out with the workout clothes and jackets, underwear, socks, and towels do get washed in warm...who wants a rough and scruffy towel or underwear?

and not only do I pile...but then I hang almost everything except the warm load and workout shirts. EVerything else hangs on a hanger or the drying rack makeing my room and bathroom look like a jungle for a good day or two :)

Jenna said...

My mom is a sorter. I'm a who cares laundry cost me $3/load here at college let me cram as much in as possible type of person.

Although anything new gets washed separately. I'm scared it is going to run.

Although I don't wash bras in the washing machine because as Hedwig says "they get warped". And I never wash swim suits - they get too thin and I go through suits like you would not believe.

Carrie Peeples said...

Sweet!! I've washed everything on cold for a long time but it's because I never had enough to sort and just threw everything into one load. Although now that I'm married and have more clothes to wash, I do lights and darks. But which category does gray fall into??