Monday, January 28, 2008

awesome weekend

so winter camp with the high schoolers was so great. i was really hesitiant to go but am so glad i listened to God and went. i had sophomore girls and they were awesome. so much fun and no drama. they didn't bring makeup, hair straightners, or blow driers..just a ton of candy ,my kind of girls! it was so refreshing to have teenage girls around who didn't care about where they sat at meal times or worship, who they saw on the way, where the boys cabins were etc. we had a great time laughing, playing in the snow and just hanging out. i think i'm going to stick with them through the rest of the school year b/c both of their leaders are pregnant.

worship last night was so powerful and fun. the kids all finally connected and were honest with themeselves and each other. our small group was great- i slept soundly and woke up to 6 more inches of snow:-) i loved living in a winter wonderland for a few days.

things i conquered this weekend:
-taking two showers in a nasty bathroom
-going up higher on the mountain with no fear
-doing a 360 on the way down the mountain (not the jump just the turn, Ryan Dixon witnessed it)
-cold toes
-challening teenagers with their lives
-held back the urge to jump in and help ...which meant keeping my mouth shut
-got over myself and connected with kids again:-)

now it's back to the grind but i am so thankful for everyone involved with our student ministry. this camp was awesome. it was different to not be involved with any programming for the first time in about five years, but it was so relaxing. mike giering is an awesome leader and the staff did a great job .....can't WAIT for HB '08!

and kurt, i'm sorry for that mean/funny joke i said on the way back from the meadow:-)

peace love folks

3 comments:

GodSide said...

No problem.

I just hate the stigma that still exists in some peoples minds that eharmony is only for losers who couldnt find a date in the real world.

We have the type of relationship (at least I think we do) where I totally knew what you meant and thought it was funny. The only thing that was kinda tough this weekend was how many people knew about it...like every other conversation had to do with it somehow. New territory for me...

Jenna said...

Oh! I miss Winter Camp. I'm glad you had a good time. I'm slightly jealous (minus the snow part - I have enough of that here). That is exciting, a new group of girls. Oh man, I can't believe you are already talking about HB. I got a call from my friend Jon last night, he was having a rough day and was like - I just want to go back to high school and camp. Crazy!

Mike Giering said...

Just discovered your blog. Glad you were at camp, and that you had as much fun as I did! It was nice to not have a ton of responsibilities so that I could hang out with students and leaders and get to know some people better. Let's get coffee this week. And, hope you'll be there after the Super Bowl for our party.