Sunday, January 6, 2008

politics

i've been thinking alot lately about passion. is everyone born with passion or, is it something you pick up along the walk of life? i'm not sure if this is a generational thing, but lately, i've met very few people with sincere passions. i know plenty of people who have strong and passionate opinions but i only know a handful of people who are passionate about certain issues. i think the difference lies in the persons actions. you can be passionate in discussion but when it's over, are you going to live out the words you just spoke? (kinda like frontrunners in sports.)this came to my attention during the Iowa caucases last week. just a few nights before, i had watched the movie Bobby. it's about the hype around bobby kennedy and tells the stories of six different people who were affected in one way or another by his assassination. it was awesome to see the real footage of people, young and old, mobilizing to spread the word about the change bobby kennedy could bring to the white house. the speech Obama made after is victory in Iowa sounded very similar to the rhetoric of the kennedy days (both of them). the political race we've just entered into will be a monumental one. i hope that every person in this nation finds an issue and a candidate with whom they can identify with ( i still don't know who that is for me). the beauty of our democratic process can be realized in this next election no matter who is voted into office. we have a chance to make our voices heard about issues in our country and our world. maybe after this election senators and congressmen/women will actually appear on the floor of the senate and the house to vote like the old days instead of traveling around raising money to fund their next re-election.

so to answer my original question, i do think God gives us each passion. it's in our hearts and souls. we should do good in this world with the gift he's given each one of us.

what do you think? are we all born with passion?

5 comments:

GodSide said...

I don't think people are born with passion any more then they are born with anger. To me passion is something that is caught. When you are around people with it for awhile it tends to stick on you like lint. In the same way it can be stolen from being around those who don't have it too long.


I am Kurt Brandemihl and I approved this message.

Melinda said...

I think that life grows our passions. Here are a few examples:

My disabilities and living with several persons with various health limitations/disabilities has made me passionate about paving the way for others with limitations.

Having experienced being left out has left me passionate about trolling the edges of rooms to be inclusive.

Having experienced a drought of encouragement has created a powerful magnet for me to be an encourager.

Having seen ballot measures and candidates that I have voted for loose by a few votes has left me passionate about helping friends or family register to vote or decipher an issue or voter catalog.

Kristen said...

God thoughts you guys, thanks for responding. I think what I should say is the we are born with the capacity of passion. How we acquire it or where we direct it is defintely picked up along the way.

Thanks for reading my blog:-)

Kristen

Kristen said...

and by God thoughts I mean good thoughts...

Mike and Stace said...

I've been thinking about this a lot lately too. I often find myself believing in something but when I go to tell others about my belief I use it in third person. I distance myself so that I can see if the other person will agree or disagree with my passions. Which is completely ironic because if I am passionate about it, who cares if someone else is or isn't? Here's an example, when I talk to others about living a 'debt free' life, I use examples from studies I've read and then I tare those examples apart. This is ridiculous. If I am really happy living a debt free lifestyle (side note- I do have a mortgage but I mean credit card debt free) why don't I just shut my mouth, live that way and be thrilled? Why can't I just live out my passions because I believe in them and because I find joy in them and use that joy to serve others? Anyway, great question Kristen.