Thursday, October 18, 2007

When it rains.....


This is a picture of my grandma Lois and I a year ago when they visited. Her situation has gotten progressively worse over the last week and a half. She's been in the ICU for almost two weeks now, and still no change. She has been breathing through a ventilator for most of those two weeks. She still has a lung infection, blood infection and the spot on her abdomen is most likely more cancer. My mom and her siblings are all in CO and tomorrow they will end her life support. This is one of the weirdest situations I've ever dealt with. I've seen suicide, death by a drunk driver, natural death by cancer at an old age, but I've never been in a situation like this. I know that even if she were to wake up and get over the infections, her quality of life would be poor and she would have the battle of her life everyday.

I'm so thankful that she knows God and that she will be so much happier in heaven. I will miss the little things about her. She is an amazing seamstress and quilter. She made quilts for both of my sisters when they got married, I'm sad that I will never get to have one. She has always sent us the craziest Christmas presents. For example, one year I got one of those battery powered squirrels that chase a ball which is attached to their mouth. This awesome gift was accompanied with the usual pair of weird socks my grandma packaged in whatever tissue paper was left over from the year before. I haven't had much time to be emotional about any of this all week b/c my new job has been keeping me very busy. But as I write this I'm filled with so many emotions. I'm lucky to have had her in my life for 23 years and to have had a great relationship with all of my grandparents. I just wish that she and my Daddy Ed (my dads father) could be around a little while longer. But with a Lynam/Moulton combination in heaven I know I will have plenty of divine protection coming my way.
This is Hey-O and grandma Lois' 50th wedding anniversary cake. I thank God that I had two sets of grandparents who got to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. How adorable is that picture?! Actually, now that I think about it, the story of my family is pretty rad. Both of my grandpa's flew for the Air Force. They met while being stationed somewhere in the world together and Ona (my dads mom) made Lois (my moms mom) a welcome to the base pie one day. Well, they got to talking and found out they had kids who were similar ages. One of my mom's brothers and my dads only brother ended up at the same college and were fraternity brothers. Then, one winter my mom came home to the base in Illinois from school in FL. At the same time, my dad went home to the base in Illinois from Westpoint. The base held a winter dance for all the returning cadets and my grandma's set up my parents to go together and the rest is history.

So anyway, keep my family in your prayers. My dad, sister and I will join the fam in CO on Sunday.

thank you God for humbling me through this funky time. I recognize how fleeting our time is on earth, and how powerful you are. please tell my grandma that she is loved, and ask her where her recipe for Santa Maria BBQ ribs is.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

That is a beautiful tribute to your grandma. No doubt, she has worn your love for her like comfort clothes.

You are wise to realize how special your relationship with your grandparents really is. Our kids never really had much in the way of relationships with their grand parents. Their GPs have kept them at arms distance, in spite of the open arms of their grandchildren.

I am glad to be able to pray for you on this unbalancing day. Hugs to you.

Christina Groth said...

How are you . . . ?