Monday, September 17, 2007

A Great Day in the Neighborhood

So this is my very first post on my blog! I'm excited to have finally started this, I've thought about it for a long time. I have so much to write about already. As many of you might know, I was supposed to be be in DC right now. My dance with DC has been a long one. It all started my sophomore year of high school. I went there on a trip with other kids from around the country for a week of up close and personal politics. I really got interested in foreign policy and IR after that and when 9/11 rolled around I did a special senior project on terrorism which I presented to the freshmen social studies classes. So then I got to college, declared my Poli Sci major and went on my way. Well then my junior year rolled around and I decided that going abroad wasn't very beneficial for me in terms of academics, but I could do a semester at American University in DC. So my good friend Jessie and I went there for 5 months and loved it. I met some awesome people and got to experience foreign policy happening every single day. As I got to towards the end of my senior year I realized I wanted to apply for jobs and grad school in DC. I did both and was unsuccessful at both. That was a really hard time in my life. I wanted to badly to go to grad school and when I got the "thanks but no thanks" letters in March, I was crushed. I honestly felt like I had nowhere else to go, nothing else to do or offer anyone. Everyone had advice for me and while I appreciated how interested and concerned people were, I couldn't help but just become numb whenever anyone started talking about it. Just when I thought I had moved on, God put DC on my heart one more time. After spending two weeks there in June blitzing the district with info interviews I felt God was calling me to face all my fears, pack it all up and move out there. I felt He was asking me to trust Him to provide. So as I left on Sept 1th no job or place to live, I still felt confident that I was following Him. After getting there I spent time in prayer and in the Word and felt He was calling me back to Portland. It wasn't that I missed my friends, family or amazing boyfriend it was more of a question of Kristen what are you doing here? I prayed alot about it and after listening to an awesome sermon from a pastor I realized that sometimes God brings us to the wrong places in life so we can figure out the right place to be. So I came home. And the best part is that I don't regret any part of it. I faced so many fears and insecurities by trusting Him to provide a place to live, a job, to be my satisfaction away from friends and family. So now as I move toward the next thing in my life (who knows what that is) I am trusting Him more than ever to put me in the right place. I am so thankful for that learning experience and can't wait for what's next. Ok well that's plenty for now....more later

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Mmmhmm. I get it now. You put some muscle (details) on the skeleton that I knew about (DC trip). So glad to read it and know how to support you in prayer. Yep. It sounds like God has an internship of His own planned for you and you are in it right now.